Last weekend, my friend Ryan & I visited Watson's Bay and the Gap...both are located just north of Bondi Beach, at the end of the peninsula and entrance to the harbor. I had researched the area before we went and knew it was a small little boat town with shops and restaurants lining the shore. It was such a cute little town! Being that it was the weekend, there were lots of families and kids out and about having Sunday brunch. We started out at Robertson Park and walked along the coast, heading towards Dover Heights and the Raleigh Reserve Lighthouse. It was beautiful! You can see all of downtown Sydney on the horizon. I actually learned a little bit of history too...the lighthouse was built in the mid-1800's to guard the entrance to the harbor. The story goes that 6 American battle ships had snuck into the harbor overnight and the Aussies didn't realize it until the next morning! The lighthouse was really cool, although we couldn't go inside of it. All around the area there are remains of old bunkers and canons too. Next, we walked to the Gap Park...not sure how it got its name, but they are REALLY big shelf-like cliffs on the coast. Because its at the entrance to the harbor, I could see the Pacific all the way to the horizon...and knew home was only 10,000 or so miles away! Thinking of you all.
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment